[PLUG] UPS Advice needed

frank hunt linux at frankhunt.com
Tue Mar 17 14:45:35 UTC 2009

John Jason Jordan wrote:

> I also didn't think about getting the computers to listen to it. More
> good advice.

I am running two 1000VA APC units (SmartUPS), they provide plenty of
power for the four systems attached as well as the network
infrastructure needed so they can talk to each other.  My monitoring
software just happens to run on XP (mostly because APC provides it for
free and it does what I need done and is easy to configure).  That
software uses ssh to "tell" the other systems that the power has been
off for five minutes and that they should shut down.  I use cygwin on
the XP boxes (two of 'em) and, of course, my Debian systems don't need
anything extra.  This setup has worked well for many years.  Pretty
cheap insurance for the cost of a set of batteries ($100 at Batteries
Plus) every couple of years.  Seems to me that your laptop, when
properly charged, should run for many hours even without the UPS.

--
frank hunt
(L0F) R0B-ZAR1