[PLUG] UPS Advice needed

m0gely m0gely at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 00:49:32 UTC 2009

chris (fool) mccraw wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 17:05, m0gely <m0gely at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I suppose so if you get to the internet from the power lines. Phone and
>> cable TV lines can be unaffected in a power outage.
>
> really?  cable lines don't need power?  there isn't some aggregator
> box on your block that pulls from the mains?
>
> not accusatory, just curious.

For DSL, power is supplied by the phone company. You need to supply
power to the modem though, which is where the UPS comes in.

For Cable, the nodes that cover an area aren't necessarily affected by
an outage that affects your own house. If it is, then they usually have
a battery backup themselves, but there's no guarantee how long that
would last.

--
m0gely