[PLUG] UPS Advice needed

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Mar 19 23:13:36 UTC 2009

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:50:53 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

> On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
> > I just spent a few minutes googling on refurbs and didn't find much price
> > advantage. Where did you get yours? And are there any local stores that
> > sell refurbs?
>
>    I don't recall. It's been several years since I bought it. IIRC, I bought
> the 1400 for the same price as a new 1000. Guess the prices fluctuate.
> However, a quick Google search prompted my memory:
> http://www.refurbups.com/.

Well, I just bought a used APC Smart UPS SUA155 on eBay for $186.35:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260379092720

Replacement batteries cost about $100 with shipping.

I did a bit of local shopping and the only APC 1500VA units I could
find in the stores were the BR series, which aren't half as good as the
SUA series, plus the cheapest price was $200.

So the next part of the saga will continue in a week or so when it
arrives. Then I get to try to figure out how to get it to work with
Linux. But from what I've read, that should be pretty easy.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and comments.