[PLUG] SIP VOIP

wes plug at the-wes.com
Tue Mar 24 15:12:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 7:24 AM, Brian Beattie <beattie at beattie-home.net>wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 07:03 -0700, wes wrote:
> > If your firewall is capable, you should be able to configure it to work
> with
> > the t-mobile device.
>
> Probably if somebody could tell me what ports I needed to redirect, but
> have you talked to customer support of a consumer level device?  and
> then if anything goes wrong getting support? Run my own servers and
> can't just give over my IP address to some random piece of hardware.

You're looking at the same situation when rolling your own: no support.

You could hack a known-working device into service, and possibly get support
if you lie to the support reps properly. Or, you could guarantee no support
whatsoever by rolling your own. The other option is to go with a more
expensive service which will likely present the same challenges as the
t-mobile service: access.

That said, if you want cheap, you can get an account with Teliax and build
an Asterisk server to handle the traffic. You'll still have to figure out
what ports to forward through your firewall though.

-wes