[PLUG] Logs and Reporting ... Again (Rich Shepard)

Robert Munro ramunro at speakeasy.net
Tue Mar 24 17:56:51 UTC 2009

> Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 06:04:48 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
> Subject: [PLUG] Logs and Reporting ... Again

>    Something broke here and I've no idea where to look. Not all scripts in
> /etc/cron.daily are being run (specifically 1pflogsumm) while 0logwatch,
> logrotate, slocate and (presumably) others do run.
>
>    I activated the 1pflogsumm in root's crontab, but now that's apparently
> not running, either. At least, I'm not seeing the summary reports in my
> inbox each morning.
>
>    What's the appropriate approach to identifying the problem so it can be
> fixed?
>
> Rich

If you're not receiving any mail from cron jobs, you might want to check
the permissions on your mail spool file, such as:

/var/spool/mail/rshepard (or whatever is your own userid on the system).

On my system, they would look like:

-rw-r--r-- 1 rshepard mail 0 2009-03-24 06:17 /var/spool/mail/rshepard .

If something changed the permissions from 644 as above to 640 or 600, it
could block your local mail handler (like postfix) from writing to that.

Robert