[PLUG] Procmail Problem

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Mar 25 01:03:23 UTC 2009

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, chris (fool) mccraw wrote:

> well, you could post your procmailrc here and tell us all that you know
> about a message that disappears (sender, subject, and anything else that
> might be affected by whatever filter rules you have in place in procmial).

Chris,

   Here's ~/.procmailrc:

# set to yes when debugging
VERBOSE=3

# Remove ## when debugging; set to no if you want minimal logging; to all
# for max.
LOGABSTRACT=all

MAILDIR=$HOME/mail

# Directory for storing procmail-related files
PMDIR=$HOME/procmail

#diagnostic:
DEFAULT=/var/spool/mail/rshepard

# Put ## before LOGFILE if no logging is wanted (not recommended)
LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log
## INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/testing.rc
## INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/lists.rc
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/recipes.rc

# Catch SPAM
:0
spam
#EOF

   And here's an example of a message from linkedin.com:

procmail: Assigning "INCLUDERC=/home/rshepard/procmail/recipes.rc"
procmail: No match on ".*@.*robinson-west.com"
procmail: Match on "< 256000"
procmail: Locking "spamassassin.lock"
procmail: Executing "spamassassin
procmail: Unlocking "spamassassin.lock"
procmail: No match on "^^rom[ ]"
procmail: No match on "^X-Spam-Status: Yes"
procmail: No match on "^Subject: *****SPAM*****"
procmail: No match on "(^((Original-)?(Resent-)?(To|Cc|Bcc)|(X-Envelope|Apparently(-Resent)?)-To):(.*[^-a-zA-Z0-9_.])?)rshepard at twodogs.us"

   ... the above repeated for each recipe in ~/procmail/recipes.rc

procmail: Locking "INBOX.lock"
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=INBOX"
procmail: Opening "INBOX"
procmail: Acquiring kernel-lock
procmail: Unlocking "INBOX.lock"
procmail: Notified comsat: "rshepard at 451980:/home/rshepard/mail/INBOX"
>From mbr+q6kWfP994TtGArfBJXXZSvcrCn6erUDHz6tUu0 at bounce.linkedin.com  Tue Mar
  Subject: From Will Coetzer and other Mining & Metallurgy Industry Network
   Folder: INBOX						6003

   But, it never showed up in my INBOX (which is /var/spool/mail/rshepard and
mirrored in ~/mail/INBOX).

> i find it very hard to believe that your procmail log file hasn't told you
> what's happening to those messages.  i often lost messages and always
> found them via the log, when i used procmail for 12 years.  i've finally
> given up that ghost and let gmail do all my sorting these days.

   I've had no problems (of which I'm aware) the past dozen years until last
month. Then a prospective client sent me a message that never arrived, and
the resend never made it to my INBOX, either. Same thing happened late last
week (different domain), and now the messages from linkedin.com are not
arriving, either. Very frustrating.