[PLUG] Clear WiMax

wes plug at the-wes.com
Thu Mar 26 15:48:41 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 8:37 AM, glen e. p. ropella
<gepr at tempusdictum.com>wrote:

> Thus spake Word Wizard circa 03/26/2009 04:21 AM:
> > Does anyone have any experience or advice?
>
> I have no specific advice; but we use it at work (mostly just me at the
> office) and it's performed quite well.  We went with it because we
> probably won't stay in that space for very long.  There were a couple of
> hiccups immediately after delivering our appliance; but the service has
> been solid since then.  We've been using it for about 3 months.
>
> If you can, find out how close you are to the nearest 2 towers.  They
> shut down the transmitter we normally use for maintenance and the
> support guy said we _should_ have failed over to the next nearest one,
> but didn't for some unknown reason.
>
> I also haven't bothered to ask tech support whether or how I can punch a
> hole for SSH through the router.  The sales guy said that shouldn't be a
> problem; but you know how sales people are.
>
> Oh!  And some yahoo on #orlug (jokingly, I suppose) suggested attacking
> us with a DDOS just because we use WIMAX.  So, perhaps there's some
> bizarre subculture out there with some WIMAX issues. [grin]
>
> --
> glen e. p. ropella, 971-222-9095, http://tempusdictum.com

We used Clear where I work for a few months to test it out. Once FiOS came
to our block, we dropped it.

I tried to get ClearWire tech support to help me allow traffic in for SSH
and VNC, but they said this was prohibited. A little google searching
revealed the default password for their silly device, which is "motorola" -
once I logged in, it was trivial to make it do what I wanted.

Also, they don't offer a static IP.

-wes