[PLUG] Understanding Logwatch Entry

chris (fool) mccraw gently at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 16:50:20 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 09:43, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Mar 2009, chris (fool) mccraw wrote:
>
>>> From the log file you posted at my request earlier this week:
>>> procmail: Notified comsat: "rshepard at 451980:/home/rshepard/mail/INBOX"
>
>> which should be harmless, comsat service running or not.
>
> Chris,
>
>   I thought that the message might refer to incoming message, but didn't
> grok why the log shows them as denied.

because your system is setup to deny comsat accesses?  fwlogwatch
monitors firewall and syslog entries, right?

>   Could this possibly be related to procmail delivering messages to INBOX
> that never show up there?

that seems unlikely to my mind.  comsat was designed to be separate
from email delivery in my understanding.  the mailman can drop
whatever he wants off on your porch whether your doorbell works or
not.

>   Perhaps I'm grasping at straws, but that is all I have now. This mail
> issue is way over my head.

i've only had half an eye on the thread, but it looks like procmail is
quite willing to deliver the mystery messages to a different folder,
right?  so i think at this point you're only needing to look at
procmail rules to find the culprit.  even if they didn't change, maybe
procmail itself did.  which would be weird since it hasn't been hacked
on since 2001, by appearances.

maybe you call shell script snippets in your recipes and the behavior
of some of those programs has changed?