[PLUG] Spam on the plug wiki

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sun Mar 29 18:43:26 UTC 2009

Nobody is using the plug wiki, at  pdxlinux dot org slash wiki  .
Except the spammers, there are about 900 pages of spam there.
I do not have administrative privileges, so I can't clean it out.

I was hoping this would evolve into the main portal for PLUG -
that way we could maintain it.  I spent quite a few hours setting
up the library (which only a few people used).  But you can't
always get what you want.

So we have a decision to make - are we going to use the wiki,
or abandon it?  If we use it, we will need to add some simple
stuff like a "textcha" to hinder the spammers.  So far, that
has worked on the moinmoin wiki on my own server.  We would
need to advertise it, and some of us would need administrative
privileges to maintain it.

Otherwise, we should probably nuke it.  I would like to save
a copy (mostly to capture the library pages), but I don't want
a place for spammers to store their garbage.  Perhaps we can
leave a shell up, and redirect the links to www.fbi.gov;  they
don't care about stopping real criminals, but at least they
and the spammers can use each other's bandwidth.

Keith