[PLUG] Bug confirmation help needed

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Mar 29 20:26:15 UTC 2009

I have filed a bug report here:

I first discovered this bug while working in OOo 3.0.1 in Intrepid. I
have just tried the March 26 beta of Jaunty and the bug persists.

What would be helpful are:

1) Confirmation from other users of Intrepid and Jaunty, especially
non-Gnomies.

2) Confirmation from users of non-Ubuntu Linuces that the bug does
NOT exist for them. Or that it does, if that is the case, although I
suspect the problem is peculiar to Ubuntu.

The bug affects about half of the IPA glyphs in a font, but only when
the bold attribute is applied. I never noticed the problem until just
now because I rarely use bold. Unfortunately my bug report is coming
very late in the development of Jaunty (release date April 23).

An easy way to test this is to copy and paste the following line into
your favorite word processor or Scribus:

Linguists need combining diacriticals to write something like [bɪt͡ʃ].

When you apply bold the three IPA characters in the last word may drop
out. If they do, change to other fonts. Those three characters are
extremely common and just about all fonts these days contain them. You
can verify that they exist in the fonts you try it with by going to
character map. The names to search on are "small cap i," "tie bar," and
"esh." The Unicode numbers are 026A, 0361 and 0283. Although the bug
affects many other glyphs, those three should suffice as a test.