[PLUG] Spam on the plug wiki (2)

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Mar 30 08:15:08 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 11:43:26AM -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> Nobody is using the plug wiki, at  pdxlinux dot org slash wiki  .
> Except the spammers, there are about 900 pages of spam there.
> I do not have administrative privileges, so I can't clean it out.

Well, I can *delete* it, even though I can't mark it as spam and
train the wiki.  So I deleted 537 spams over a few hours.  That
is either way obsessive or a great way to get my aggressions out
( DIE SPAMMER!  YOU DIE TOO, SCUM! ).  It would be nice to have
a faster way (like root access, and mass deletes of globs).

Thanks to Ronald Chmara for dealing with the last infestation a
month ago.  This garbage comes in waves, and we are in the
middle of one now, a few came in while I was deleting.

Textchas can slow it way down.  For example, the following clause
can be added to the file:  /home/[wiki name here]/moin/wikiconfig.py

    textchas_disabled_group = u"TrustedEditorGroup" # members don't get textchas
    textchas = {
        'en': {
            u"Name a primary color": ur"(red|green|blue,yellow)",
            u"What city is pdxlinux located in?": ur"Portland",
            u"Who is the President of the United States?": ur"(Obama|Barack Obama)",
            u"Name a Portland bridge": ur"Sellwood|Ross Island|Marquam|Hawthorne|Morrison|Burnside|Steel|Broadway|Fremont|St Johns|Saint Johns",
            u"The number of a Portland interstate freeway is": ur"(205|I205|405|I405|84|I84|5|I5)",
        },
        # you can add more languages if you like
    }
These should be common knowledge, have short unambiguous answers,
not opinions, not esoteric.  This is to stop 'bots, not test trivia
knowledge.  The Portland bridge question shows that some questions
have far too many answers, and some answers can be expressed in
more than one way.  On my wiki, I ask questions about time units,
some antonyms, and so forth.  Perhaps at Thursday afters we can
collect a few questions to put in the textcha clause.  The best
questions will be the ones everybody can answer, and most robots
cannot.

Keith