[PLUG] SSL versus wikispam .

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Mar 30 20:43:23 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 12:43:48PM -0700, Jason Dagit wrote:

> I like your suggestion, but I have also seen the use of SSL as a way
> to deter wiki spam bots.  I don't really understand why using https
> instead of http deters bots, it seems like the author could easily
> update the bot to support SSL but a friend of mine put his personal
> mediawiki instance behind https and it stopped all the spammers.
>
> Anyway, just a thought.  I don't really know if this suggestion is
> appropriate for the wiki.

That's an interesting idea.  pdxlinux.org would need a cert, or it
would look untrustworthy.  On Feb 25 Joey Pruett suggested:

> rapidsslonline.com is pretty reasonable.  5 year for $69

I looked at that site:

http://www.rapidsslonline.com/rapidssl-certificates.php

... for a "single root certificate".  I will have to learn what
that means and how it applies to a site.  Does that certify all
pages https://www.pdxlinux.org/*  ?

Keith