[PLUG] Fun and Yum! Signal integrity HUM and NOISE!

Guy Letourneau guy1656 at opusnet.com
Mon Mar 30 23:10:50 UTC 2009

>> Ground each piece of equipment to your electrical ground in the
>> conduits. For multiple boxes, be sure that each ground path branches off
>> from the ground wire but does NOT form ground LOOPS.
>
> I very much doubt it is a ground problem. Would not a ground problem
> produce a hum? Specifically a 60 Hz hum? I know what a 60 Hz hum sounds
> like and this is nothing at all like that. This is a wailing that
> varies in frequency and intensity as you move around or as a bird flies
> overhead.

Aha! it's not the path(s) to ground, but rather that if you create a
LOOP which may then act as a receiving antenna for HIGH frequency
emissions from unshielded equipment. The resistance to ground at low
frequencies (60hz, 120hz, etc.) may indeed be nearly zero, but the
impedance at high frequencies is another matter.

The loop gets excited by receiving the RF, and SHARES it with all the
participating components. The noise you hear is the frequency of the
emission source plus or minus any fun overtones you get from the
resonance frequency of the loop (which depends on the size of the loop.

Moving your body (a watery mass) with respect to the loop also changes
its high frequency characteristics. Bullet chronometers work this way -
the metal projectile moving PAST two V-shaped antenna a known distance
apart causes impedance variations; the first acts as a trigger (pulse)
and the second stops the timer. The time of flight is calculated from
the two events a known distance apart in time and space, and vee-o-la,
(viola!) you get a reading in feet per second without touching the
actual bullet in flight.

If you have an RF noise source and a loop in any signal paths (not just
grounds) then that loop may pick up the emitted noise or a harmonic
multiple of it...