[PLUG] Bug confirmation help needed

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Mar 30 23:27:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:40:50 -0700
Joe Shisei Niski <joeniski at easystreet.net> dijo:

> John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > I have filed a bug report here:
> >
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/351080
> >
> > I first discovered this bug while working in OOo 3.0.1 in Intrepid. I
> > have just tried the March 26 beta of Jaunty and the bug persists.
> >
> > What would be helpful are:
> >
> > 1) Confirmation from other users of Intrepid and Jaunty, especially
> > non-Gnomies.

> well, i'm a Gnomie, using OOo 3.0.1 on Intrepid (Upgraded from Hardy)
> and it looks fine, except in a couple of free fonts that apparently lack
> some of the the characters.

OK, you're the first person I have heard from who is using 3.0.1 on
Gnome and Intrepid, and does NOT have the problem. You realize that
makes you a very, very special person!

Further details: The final word in that selection - [bɪt͡ʃ] - contains
three glyphs from the IPA and combining diacriticals blocks of Unicode,
specifically 026A, 0361 and 0283. In most programs the leading zero is
not required, including OOo.

Can you test something further?

Just about all fonts contain those glyphs unless it is really basic,
which is possible in some of the freeware fonts. However, they
definitely exist in FreeSerif Sans and Serif, Junicode, Times New
Roman, Nimbus, Liberation Sans and Serif, Linux Libertine, Bitstream
Charter and Vera Sans, Verdana, and all varieties of Arial.

So, specially just for you, I have prepared the following text:

Bitstream Charter Regular [bɪt͡ʃ]
Bitstream Charter Italic [bɪt͡ʃ]
Bitstream Charter Bold [bɪt͡ʃ]
Bitstream Vera Sans Regular [bɪt͡ʃ]
Bitstream Vera Sans Italic [bɪt͡ʃ]
Bitstream Vera Sans Bold [bɪt͡ʃ]
FreeSerif Regular [bɪt͡ʃ]
FreeSerif Italic [bɪt͡ʃ]
FreeSerif Bold [bɪt͡ʃ]
FreeSans Regular [bɪt͡ʃ]
FreeSans Italic [bɪt͡ʃ]
FreeSans Bold [bɪt͡ʃ]
Liberation Sans Regular [bɪt͡ʃ]
Liberation Sans Italic [bɪt͡ʃ]
Liberation Sans Bold [bɪt͡ʃ]
Liberation Serif Regular [bɪt͡ʃ]
Liberation Serif Italic [bɪt͡ʃ]
Liberation Serif Bold [bɪt͡ʃ]
Nimbus Sans Regular [bɪt͡ʃ]
Nimbus Sans Italic [bɪt͡ʃ]
Nimbus Sans Bold [bɪt͡ʃ]
Nimbus Serif Regular [bɪt͡ʃ]
Nimbus Serif Italic [bɪt͡ʃ]
Nimbus Serif Bold [bɪt͡ʃ]
Verdana Regular [bɪt͡ʃ]
Verdana Italic [bɪt͡ʃ]
Verdana Bold [bɪt͡ʃ]

It would be awesome if you can open a blank document in OOo 3.0.1,
Scribus (any version), KWord, and AbiWord, and paste the above into
them. Then apply the fonts as listed. If you don't have all of those
programs, not to worry, just use the ones you do have.

And when you are done, print the documents and compare the printouts to
what you see on screen. And then send me screenshots from each
application with commentary as to how the printout may have differed.

That is a lot to ask, but since you are the only one I have run into
who says they do not have the problem, I'd like to verify first of all
that you really don't have the problem. And once we are sure, then I
want to try to figure out why.

You are so very unique. You are very special to me. OK, don't take that
the wrong way. (And prescriptivists can shut up about how I use the
word "unique.")

And anyone else on this list who has Intrepid and any of the above
programs, you can help by doing the same. And if you have some other
distro, it would also be helpful, because I think the problem is only
in Intrepid and Jaunty. It would be good to verify that, or discover
that it also affects certain versions of other distros.