[PLUG] AMD motherboard w/HDMI

Robert Munro ramunro at speakeasy.net
Tue Mar 31 00:09:54 UTC 2009

I'd look for a motherboard with an Intel or AMD chipset if I were you.

As Charlie Demerjian said at The Inquirer today, "Nvidia chipsets are
not only buggier than the mattress of a third-world prostitute, but
their Linux drivers are barely functional if you can find them."

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/583/1051583/nehalem-proves-server-mettle

Admittedly Charlie dislikes Nvidia, but I happen to have a machine with
a Nvidia chipset, an Asus Crosshair with the Nvidia C51/MCP55 chipset,
and it's got a memory controller bug.  When that system gets powered off
and turned back on, it won't detect the 2G of Crucial PC6400 DRAM in it.
I have to open the case and put in a 512MB stick of PC5300 to reset the
BIOS DRAM settings, then put the Crucial DRAM back in to get it to boot.

However, other than that minor problem, the motherboard seems to work.
It was free from a friend, but I'd get something else if I were buying.

Robert