[PLUG] RSS feed watcher?

chris (fool) mccraw gently at gmail.com
Sun May 3 20:17:34 UTC 2009

hey folks,

does anyone have a favorite web service or application that runs on
linux that has the ability to pull a single RSS feed in near-realtime
and search for terms in it?  my bike got stolen and i'm watching
craigslist using google alerts, which does what i want...but at a
glacial pace.  i posted a message that i knew would tickle my filter
and it took 13 hours for google to tell me, despite me setting the
polling frequency to "as it happens" (as opposed to daily, the next
higher option), so while i like the functionality, there's a fair
chance the posting will appear and disappear before google notices to
tell me.

anyhow, i'd like to pull the feed say every 5 minutes and grep for
stuff.  i could just roll one with netcat and grep, literally, but am
wondering if there's a snazzy option already designed/debugged that i
can leverage.

thanks for your advice!