[PLUG] Freedom to connect

wes plug at the-wes.com
Mon May 11 13:51:25 UTC 2009

I think it's kind of a slippery slope deal. AOL tried this (rather
successfully for a while) where you paid for "net access" which only allowed
you to access AOL-controlled resources. There was a lot of smoke and mirrors
involved to try to keep people from finding out there was a bigger net out
there.

If some of the larger media corporations got together and mutually excluded
access to each others' resources, we could see a very big impact on the
effective size of the net we can reach. I agree that it is not currently
much of a problem, at least not in our country. but if it does become a
problem, it will become such a large problem so fast, that it's important
that we make very sure it never happens.

-wes