[PLUG] Odd WINE/Gnome/Windows program interaction

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Mon May 11 18:06:14 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Tim Wescott <tim at wescottdesign.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to tell, under Gnome or Wine, where an application thinks
> it has it's windows open?

wmctrl is *probably* your best bet.

eg: to get a list of all windows open, and their geometry:

$ wmctrl -l -G
0x01200233  0 564  416  577  602                   gnuwestlake
Terminal - rcreswick at gnuwestlake: ~/src/xuggler-2.0
0x01800001  0 233  36   854  689                   gnuwestlake
myprint-version.PDF - Okular
0x00e00049  0 1299 33   1144 920                   gnuwestlake Inbox
for rcreswick at stottlerhenke.com - Thunderbird

wmctrl will also let you close/move/resize/etc windows, but it's
capabilities are highly dependent on your windowmanager.  (It can ask
the WM to do things, but the WM can ignore it.)

In ubuntu, the wmctrl is in the wmctrl package.

--Rogan