[PLUG] Linux partition scheme

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky zznmeb at gmail.com
Tue May 12 06:35:16 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:38 PM, Jason Dagit <dagitj at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Paul J. <keinschwein at spiretech.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm putting a extra hard drive on my XP box which will be home to
>> Ubuntu.  I've been doing dual-boots since the mid-'90s, but haven't
>> done a new Linux install for a few years.  I would like to partition
>> the Ubuntu drive to facilitate future distro upgrades, if the
>> partition scheme makes any difference in that area.  I remember
>> something about having a dedicated /home partition to make upgrades easier.
>>
>> I'm a Linux hobbyist and enthusiast, so I'm asking about a partition
>> scheme for a "home" user.

Well ... I guess it depends on what your hobbies are relative to
Linux. openSUSE defaults to a swap, a "/", and a "/home", but Debian
and Ubuntu default to just a swap and a "/". Fedora defaults to some
bizarre LVM configuration.

My hobbies involve I/O testing, so I generally reserve a 128 MB
"/boot" and a 10 - 20 GB chunk on the "outside" of the disk called
"/data", which I can reformat at will with any filesystem I'm in the
mood to test. Since I run openSUSE, the rest of the disk is "/" (20 GB
by default), "/home" (the rest) and swap (some unknown function of RAM
size.)

I think multiple partitions are over-rated, though. If you're just a
"typical Ubuntu user", take the default and enjoy the distro. :)

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://www.linkedin.com/in/edborasky