[PLUG] open source swf tools

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue May 12 23:36:54 UTC 2009

Animated GIFs work in open office, but they display slowly and
jerkily.  They display faster embedded in web pages via Firefox,
but they still look grainy.

Meanwhile, my distro provides an open source package called
"swftools" which includes a tool "png2swf".  I wrote some
programs in C, linked to libgd, to write animated GIFs, frame
by frame.  Now I am retooling the programs to write PNG frames
to a directory, and combining them with png2swf.  While I
cannot show SWF movies from within openoffice, I can show them
with Firefox, and I will be building slide shows around that.

You can see one of the animations at:
   http://www.server-sky.com/local/ap02.swf

It shows 20 frames per second (as designed) on my browser.  I am
curious how it does with other browsers or slower computer speeds.

Keith