[PLUG] Mail log reporting: cron issue?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri May 22 13:47:31 UTC 2009

   Each time I think the mail log reporting issue is resolved I find that it
is not.

   Yesterday I received one of the two reports, today none. Both days the
results of the 'set' command was mailed to me showing that the process
supposedly ran and exited with the success code of '0'. That the 19th line
of /etc/cron.daily/1pflogsumm (set -x > log_error.txt 2>&1) is processed by
the shell and the results e-mailed to me suggests that the 1pflogsumm script
has actually been run, but the mailed report has not been appended to my
INBOX (/var/spool/mail/rshepard).

   I can manually run /usr/local/bin/pflogsumm (using the options in the
shell script)and the report is written to stdout; did so just now. However,
today I cannot manually run /etc/cron.daily/1pflogsumm; yesterday I could.

   This all leads me to believe that the problem is primarily with invoking
the shell script. Why the results of the set command are delivered to my
inbox while the results of the rest of the script are not makes on sense to
me. Here are relevant entries from the procmail log: