[PLUG] Virtualbox in Ubuntu, kernel compile fails

Bill Barry barryb at proaxis.com
Sat May 23 14:48:49 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 7:21 AM, Larry W <larryw at holbrookmasons.org> wrote:

> Rogan Creswick wrote:

> > Do you have the kernel headers installed?
> >
> > (package: linux-headers-`uname -r`, I think.)
> >
> I forgot to check for the headers, but they are installed.  I
> reinstalled for grins but that didn't help.  But semaphore.h does exist,
> it's in usr/include[/bite] and
> /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11[-generic]/include/linux.  I suppose I
> could link it.  I'm not a coder so it will take me a moment or two.
>
> But thanks for the suggestion, Rogan.
>
> Larry

The kernel headers are still the problem
You are  missing
asm/semaphore.h:
not linux/semaphore.h
It seems asm/semaphore.h was deprecated and disappeared in the 2.6.27 kernel

http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.bugs.dist/browse_thread/thread/b17987cdc2b4b7c5
I think one way of temporarily fixing this without patching the virtualbox
source is to find asm/semaphore.h in an
older kernel header tree and copy it into your current kernel header tree.
Or, maybe there is a newer version of Virtualbox out there where this has
been fixed?

Bill