[PLUG] Portland Co-Lo Experiences

chris (fool) mccraw gently at gmail.com
Sat May 23 16:38:44 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 16:06, John Medway <pdxlinux at johnmedway.com> wrote:
> I know this is not strictly Linux, but this is one of the few local tech
> mailing lists I am on, or am aware of, so please excuse...
>
> Does anyone have any good/bad/indifferent to report about in-Portland
> co-location facilities? I need two cabinets of real estate for some Linux
> servers (there's the on-topic part) and an AS/400.
>
> We need to be able to get to them quickly, in the event of emergency, so
> close-in is best. We also need to be able to service the AS/400 daily for
> tape and diaper changes, so the Integra/Tyco/Tata facility above the Whole
> Foods is *NOT* an option, since they have just implemented some pretty
> jackass access restrictions which is why I'm looking to move.

we use sungard (formerly inflow) at nw 12th and northrup--darn
convenient for you & me (until i move to the east side in august
anyway) for those late night visits.

they're rock solid, hipaa/pci compliant (which
keycard-without-staff-signing-you-in places probably aren't, if i read
the PCI spec right), and the service is generally good--no power or
net downtime in the year and a half i've been seeing them.  some of
their additional customer services are not so hot (tivoli backups, for
instance), but it sounds like you have that under manual control
anyway.

not too ridiculously expensive once you take out the managed services
aspect (which is on my plate to do in the next few months before we
renew our contract).

i'm not certain if i can take just anyone in there (who is a US
citizen anyway), but am happy to ask and anyway they'd probably give
you a tour if you asked.  and did i mention, conveniently located? =)