[PLUG] I hate Nautilus

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat May 23 22:30:12 UTC 2009

So today I am downloading some distros for my USB disk that I take to
the Clinic. Suddenly Transmission announces that I am out of file
space. Sure enough, the GUI says there is no free space out of the 140
GB formatted. Now, I know I have a lot of stuff on this computer, but
just the other day I know I had around 30 GB free.

Further poking around revealed 35 GB in "Trash." I deleted them and
that gave me 35 GB free.

More poking around revealed a link (arrow on the icon) to /media/cdrom.
Inside was another 12.1 GB of files - what appeared to be tar.gz backup
files from 2007. I deleted them, and then Nautilus announced that I had
47 GB free space. Don't ask why backup files were in there, because I
have no clue. I have never [deliberately] created backups to the same
partition as I am backing up, nor have I ever used optical media as a
backup destination.

Just now I wanted to look at some items in ~/Phonology/. The folder is
still there, but all my bookmarks are gone - about 20 of them. They
were all there this morning. Evidently deleting stuff from Trash
deletes your bookmarks.

OK, I'll just recreate the bookmarks. It's just a click - click - click
process. Except that you can't do it easily. I selected a file in
~/Phonology/ and told Nautilus to create a bookmark to it. Nautilus
created a bookmark to ~/. The only way to get a bookmark to the
~/Phonology/ folder is to create one to ~/ and then edit it manually.

I have had problems with Nautilus in the distant past, but this crap is
new. I wonder if the dist-upgrade to Jaunty is responsible.