[PLUG] I hate Nautilus

Michael M. Moore michael at writemoore.net
Mon May 25 16:23:35 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-24 at 18:27 -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> The unanswered question is why emptying the Trash folder would delete
> the contents of ~/.gtk-bookmarks. OK, deleting the Trash probably
> deleted the whole file, which was then regenerated anew the next time I
> opened Nautilus. But why would deleting the Trash delete a hidden file
> in ~/?
>
> Gnome is a mysterious place.

I can't fathom what happened, but I wonder if it has something to do
with "Trash" moving from ~/.Trash to ~/.local/share/Trash.  I'm not sure
when that happened, but I do know it used to be a hidden directory under
~/ and now it isn't.  Maybe upgrading from a previous version of GNOME,
when "Trash" was in its old location, to the current version, with
"Trash" in a different location, confused things.

I'm also not really clear on when you say "deleting the Trash" you mean
"emptying the Trash" or actually deleting the directory that contains
"Trash"  -- and if the latter, that begs the question, which directory
did you delete, the old one (which may have still been in your home
directory) or the new one, or both?

--
Michael M.