[PLUG] best practices

Michael Ewan mhewan1 at comcast.net
Mon May 25 19:38:29 UTC 2009

Brian Derr wrote:
> I really dislike the idea of a Samba share being the DocumentRoot. I do like
> Drew's idea of an SVN repository. How important is the PDF file format to
> them? Would it be easier (more appropriate) to use a wiki to create the
> documents? I haven't researched it, but I'm willing to bet there are some
> wikis out there that allow export to PDF for a topic.
>
> bd
>
> On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 12:27 AM, drew wymore <drew.wymore at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> <snip>
>>
>> Using a Samba share like this could pose huge risks if a virus gets
>> involved. It could potentially write to the webserver depending on what it
>> was. I actually had this issue waaaaaay back in the day and learned my
>> lesson the hard way.
>>
>> Perhaps something like setting a Subversion repo would be a reasonable
>> alternative since there are Windows GUI tools available and SVN are web
>> accessible and can be easily controlled in regards to access that are much
>> more prudent than drive mapping.
>>

>> This is less of an issue from a security standpoint given there is a router
>> in place, provided the router is secured properly.
>>
>> Drew-

The DocumentRoot on a Samba share is just asking for trouble and a
maintenance headache.  Might I suggest using a CMS such as Wordpress or
Drupal.  Gives you all the security, content access controls and
presentation flexibility that you need.  If you don't want to deal with
the MySQL backend, then look at Flatnux.