[PLUG] render html to png image

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky zznmeb at gmail.com
Thu May 28 16:09:55 UTC 2009

Yeah ... I normally use PDFs rather than PS myself, but IIRC it's an
extra pipe in the script. :) The Gimp will also make a bitmap from a
vector graphic, but it's not a command line tool.

I've actually had a number of instances where I more or less *had* to
convert a vector graphic to a bitmap. I generate some pretty complex
plots with R and ggobi, and these things take up many megabytes and
choke printers in a step called "flattening". Converting them to
bitmaps is the only way they can be emailed and printed.

BTW -- ImageMagick is Perl (and Python and Ruby and probably Lua)
scriptable, so if you have some fancy logic making your slides in
Perl, you should be able to put the ImageMagick piece of it in the
script directly.

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 8:14 AM, Carlos Konstanski
<ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 May 2009, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
>> Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 08:06:44 -0700
>> From: John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>
>> To: plug at lists.pdxlinux.org
>> Subject: Re: [PLUG] render html to png image
>>
>> On Thu, 28 May 2009 00:34:19 -0700
>> "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <zznmeb at gmail.com> dijo:
>>
>>> Hmmm ... if you can get HTML -> ps done, I think you can go from ps to
>>> PNG using ImageMagick.
>>
>> I've used Inkscape to convert PS to PNG. I'm pretty sure Inkscape uses
>> ImageMagick to produce bitmaps.
>>
>> Inkscape can also import PDFs, although only one page at a time. I've
>> found that importing a PDF is sometimes better than importing the same
>> image written to PS. I don't know if Inkscape's import of PS and PDF
>> are separate modules that can be called from a command line and used in
>> a script.
>
> If the web page fits in one screen, try "import screenshot.png".
> import is also an ImageMagick utility.
>
> Carlos

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://www.linkedin.com/in/edborasky