[PLUG] notSoOpenSuSE

Wayne E. Van Loon Sr. wevl at pacifier.com
Fri May 29 22:32:07 UTC 2009

Thanks Rogan, you are right, when finished editing the GRUB boot line
with the little GRUB editor, <Enter> key will take you back one level
and the edit changes are saved. This was omitted from the brief
instructions that appear when editing the list.

However, still won't boot on another machine. I have tried replacing the
/dev/disk/by-id stuff with:

/dev/hda1 and /dev/hda2,
/dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2
(hd0,1) and (hd0,2)

Looking in /dev/ after boot, I see that the only choices for anything
that looks like a disk is /dev/sda, /dev/sda1,2,3 and /dev/disk/.
/dev/disk/ has sub-directories  by-id/,     by-path/  and   by-uuid/

Looking at the time on the block device nodes created in /dev/, they are
created each boot. If I make my own block device nodes, give them the
same major and minor numbers as the /dev/sda* nodes but different name,
they are deleted at next boot. I would guess that early in the boot
process everything in the /dev/ directory is deleted. Probably explains
why substituting sda* in the proper places when editing the GRUB boot
line didn't work.

I'll admit that I don't have the big picture on this scheme. It doesn't
make sense to store information on the disk to be used to locate the disk.

Thanks to everyone for your help, but I guess I will put this problem on
the back burner for a while (again).

Wayne