[PLUG] Getting a list of installed programs

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Nov 2 05:45:02 UTC 2009

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 19:26:09 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

> On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 14:32:39 -0800
> Michael Rasmussen <michael at jamhome.us> dijo:
>
> > On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 01:26:39PM -0800, Tim Garton wrote:
> > > I think that will print out all packages installed on his system, not
> > > just the ones he has specified.  I believe something like:
> > >
> > > sudo apt-get install deborphan
> > > deborphan -a -p 1
> > >
> > > this will print out all packages installed on your system that aren't
> > > dependencies of another package.
> >
> > That's a pretty nice command set.  on my systems it yeilds ~130 packages,
> > a very manageable number.
>
> Indeed, that helps a lot. Looking at the output, it doesn't seem to get
> everything, but I think it gets a lot.
>
> I'm also going to write down manually everything in the Gnome
> Applications menu, and everything in my panels.
>
> It also occurred to me to use the Synaptic utility to make a script to
> install the same applications on another computer. But rather than use
> the script as a script I'll just make a printout of it. We'll see if it
> turns out to be just a list of 2003 installed packages.

Debian Squeeze is installing as I write this on my desktop computer.
Y'all cross your fingers, 'k?

Meantime, does anyone know where installed printers are located? I
mean, if I copy ~/ from the Ubuntu disk to the new Debian disk, will my
printers be there as they were in Ubuntu? This is a serious question. I
have eight laser printers which I use for various different print jobs.
Configuring them all anew would be time-consuming.