[PLUG] Can't log in to new Debian install

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Nov 2 06:37:43 UTC 2009

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 22:23:30 -0800 (PST)
"Tim Bruce - PLUG" <timb at tbruce.com> dijo:

> On Sun, November 1, 2009 22:21, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 22:07:17 -0800
> > John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:
> >
> >> So0mething has gone wrong. During the installation I set myself up as
> >> jjj (lowercase), and it took my password and the confirmation of the
> >> password. But I can't log in as jjj at the login screen. All I get is
> >> is "incorrect username or password."  However, I can log in as root;
> >> that is, from the login screen I can select Actions > Configure the
> >> Login Manager, and it takes the root password.
> >>
> >> I could start all over again, but there must be some way for root to
> >> reset jjj's password and/or username.
> >
> > OK, I rebooted to recovery mode and am now sitting at a command
> > line, logged in as root. I'm googling on how to set up/fix users from
> > the command line.

> Use the passwd command:
>
> #passwd jjj
>
> It should prompt you for a new password for that user.
>
> Verify the user account exists in /etc/passwd as well.

Thanks! Your answer arrived before google found the solution for me.

I did get as far as using su to change to jjj, which worked. So I knew
that the problem was with the password, not the username. The passwd
command is what I was missing. I fixed my password and am now
successfully logged in as jjj.

Now off to play with Debian. :)