[PLUG] Can't mount old drive in Debian

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Nov 3 02:10:52 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 16:39:23 -0500
Robert Citek <robert.citek at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 12:56 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> > All seemed to go well, but Squeeze is not finding the drive. I get the following:
> >
> > jjj at Devil8:~$ dmesg |tail
> > [40648.050094] hda: possibly failed opcode: 0xa0
> > [40648.050100] hda: Strange, packet command initiated yet DRQ isn't asserted

> Is the drive supposed to be hda?  I thought all SATA drives and even
> IDE(PATA) drives in newer linux distros would be referred to as sda.

That struck me as odd too. It's definitely a SATA drive, and the
ultrabay adapter is a SATA adapter.

> Do you get the same results if you boot up with a LiveCD, e.g.
> Knoppix, Fedora, or Ubuntu?

I did not have to try a live CD. I rebooted and when Debian came back
up the drive was automatically mounted.

What I still don't understand is why it did not automount when I
plugged it in. Nor was I able to mount it manually, for failure to know
what its device name was.