[PLUG] gnome-terminal

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 21:54:32 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Daniel Herrington <herda05 at gmail.com> wrote:
> screen. Now I have a separate gnome-terminal window. Does anyone know
> how to re-attach it back to the main window, or otherwise disable this
> $%^&ing feature?

This is a hackish workaround, but hey, it does the trick:

   * Open a new tab in the new window (so that the terminal actually
has tabs to grab)
   * drag the desired tab back to the window it started in
   * close the window that now has nothing but the empty terminal you
created, just so you'd have a tab.

I'd be cautious about disabling the tab-disconnection feature, since I
*think* it's a GTK thing.  You may only be able to enable/disable it
for all gtk apps, which could be a bad thing. (or not, depending on
how you operate.)

It might be possible to make gnome terms *always* have a tab bar, but
I don't see that anywhere in the obvious preferences.  (If you could
do that, it might provide you with something to grab ahold of at all
times, so you could just pull the terminal back in place.)

If you *really* like tabs, you could check out fluxbox, which
implements tabbing at the window manager level :)

--Rogan