[PLUG] Anti Linux attitude in ReactOS community...

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Sun Nov 8 02:40:17 UTC 2009

Anyone know why there is such a strong anti Linux mentality in the
ReactOS community?  I simply asked that people not bad mouth Linux
on the forums and got flamed intensely.  I'll admit that my version
of wine doesn't 100% support Microsoft Office 2003, though I wonder
if a newer release of wine will more than ever?

ReactOS is currently held up with the 0.3.11 release falling behind
the target release date because of apparently a major bug.

There are people on the forums claiming to be individuals who have
worked on the Linux kernel and claiming to be authorities on just
how "crappy" it is.  One person even went so far as to defend Windows
as a server system claiming he has gotten up times of nearly a year
or longer.

I've tried to suggest that bad mouthing Linux won't attract more
people to ReactOS, but my pleas seem to be falling on deaf ears.

They are having so much trouble getting ReactOS together that I
wonder if the whole project isn't simply a mistake?  How hard is
it to write advanced application programs for Linux?  How hard
is it in reality for people who understand Windows to get used to
Gnome or KDE?  I'd say not very hard compared to the effort it is
taking for ReactOS to go nowhere fast.

In a sense, the ReactOS project failing to produce a decent OS will
be unfortunate.  A direct alternative to Microsoft Windows is
needed, though I question whether that alternative needs to be
driver and application program compatible or not.

Another thing that constantly gets derided in the ReactOS
community is GCC which makes me think that the developers
don't know what they are doing.

I realize this a Linux forum and not a ReactOS one, but I figure someone
may want to comment on the anti Linux rhetoric that is coming from those
in the ReactOS community.