[PLUG] grub problems or is it the noobie administrator?

logical american website.reader3 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 00:27:53 UTC 2009

Well, it looks like I shot myself in the foot good and need the
assistance of a person intimately acquainted with grub.

I allowed Ubuntu to upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 on my Toshiba laptop, but
something went wrong with apt's autoremove configurator and some
graphics library files got removed, so that Ubuntu would NOT boot into a
GUI but stayed in run level 2.

I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled Ubuntu 9.04 (with the idea
in mind of updating the 9.04 with my backup disk) and everything went
well. I then booted knoppix 6.01 in order to update all the folders on
the harddisk (two partitions /(root) and /boot) and rebooted only to run
in trouble during the boot sequence.  The UUID's didn't match and the
load failed, Ubuntu opening a maintenance session.  (well, I had
symbolically linked the wrong vmlinuz and initrd images in the root
partition to the boot partition)

Realizing that I needed to run "update-grub" on both the /boot partition
and the / (root) partition, I rebooted knoppix and mounted them as you
would expect and ran "update-grub" and the command seemed to work.

However booting still fails, although grub does display all 3 initrd
images, but says "file not found" after trying.  Is the MBR hosed?

I did follow the "fix" steps in Ubuntu, of

1. grub
2. find /boot/grub/stage1
3. root (hd0,0) (which step #2 finds)
4. setup (hd0,0)
5. reboot

but no such luck.

I mounted the CD run only session of Ubuntu 9.04 and tried to mount the
partitions again, and run either the grub commands or the update-grub,
but with no success.

What am I missing?   I could reformat the hard disk again and reinstall
Ubuntu 9.04 but then I have a backup disk with 2 more changes in the
linux kernel which will have to be updated.  I really would like to get
Ubuntu 9.04 updated, then allow apt to update into version 9.10 again.

Any ideas?