[PLUG] grub problems or is it the noobie administrator?

Joe Shisei Niski joeniski at easystreet.net
Tue Nov 10 00:54:39 UTC 2009

On 11/09/2009 04:27 PM, logical american wrote:
> Well, it looks like I shot myself in the foot good and need the
> assistance of a person intimately acquainted with grub.

<snip>

> What am I missing?   I could reformat the hard disk again and reinstall
> Ubuntu 9.04 but then I have a backup disk with 2 more changes in the
> linux kernel which will have to be updated.  I really would like to get
> Ubuntu 9.04 updated, then allow apt to update into version 9.10 again.
>
> Any ideas?

This probably isn't too helpful, but why not just back up your data and
do a clean install of 9.10 at this point?

i tried upgrading my 64-bit 9.04 installation, and got pretty well hosed
when one key package (rarian-compat) couldn't update. Booted from a live
cd and downloaded it manually, still couldn't get it to install, so i
just repartitioned my drive, formatted to ext4, did a clean install,
restored my data & additional apps. That took a little less time the the
botched upgrade and attempts to fix it.

Joe