[PLUG] Mandriva 2010 One

Fred James fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net
Tue Nov 10 04:53:03 UTC 2009

wes wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 6:51 PM, Fred James <fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net>wrote:
>

>> wes wrote:
>>
>>> I thought they went commercial? Did that change or did I imagine it?
>>>
>>> -wes

>> Wes
>> They went commercial, but I think you can still get the basic distro as
>> a free download (maybe someone else knows for sure?) - at any rate,
>> their (commercial) download version isn't priced outrageously high and
>> one can then load it on as many boxes as one likes.
>> Regards
>> Fred James
>>

> So, is there anything their paid version provides that I can't get in Ubuntu
> or elsewise?
>
> -wes

Wes
Pretty splash, nifty startup sound?  No, not really - your mileage may
vary, but it has been pretty much hassle free for me.  I have tried some
others including an earlier version of Ubuntu, and I have never found
one that was as hassle free - but then that really is personal opinion,
as I said.  Another respondent mentioned a money issue with Mandriva - I
have never heard of the "$50/month" thing mentioned, but I will say that
Mandriva's selling site is sometimes a bit difficult to understand and I
would stay away from subscription schemes (theirs or anyone else's for
that matter).  But I have never had a problem when just paying the one
time price (box or download).

Off the subject, but I got into a nasty with O'Reilly Books over an
online subscription deal - as I said, I would stay away from
subscription schemes.
Regards
Fred James

PS:  I only replied in the first place because it was suggested that no
one was using Mandriva - it seems cost may be a major factor in that (as
in commercial), and I cannot say as I should hold that against anyone in
opting for something else.  I just meant I use it and like it.  But as
with any product (commercial or not), there are pluses and minuses, and
my feel for it is just that, and only that.