[PLUG] Hulu and squid...

Patrick J. Timlick p.j.timlick at ieee.org
Tue Nov 10 15:44:44 UTC 2009

Just in the interest of science, I just ran a Hulu SNL clip and monitored my
PIII firewall with the program top.  The processor was always above 98%
idle; top often showed 100% idle.  If memory serves, a PIII firewall can
handle a T1 line.  My firewall is not running squid.   I haven't bothered
with squid as I think it would pay only when different systems access the
same content at nearly the same time; not likely for my network.  The SNL
clip played well, although the content wasn't that good, the latter probably
not the fault of the firewall.

Onward.

-- Patrick Timlick