[PLUG] Hulu and squid...

m0gely m0gely at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 00:12:09 UTC 2009

Michael Robinson wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 07:44 -0800, Patrick J. Timlick wrote:
>> Just in the interest of science, I just ran a Hulu SNL clip and monitored my
>> PIII firewall with the program top.  The processor was always above 98%
>> idle; top often showed 100% idle.  If memory serves, a PIII firewall can
>> handle a T1 line.  My firewall is not running squid.   I haven't bothered
>> with squid as I think it would pay only when different systems access the
>> same content at nearly the same time; not likely for my network.  The SNL
>> clip played well, although the content wasn't that good, the latter probably
>> not the fault of the firewall.
>>
>> Onward.
>>
>> -- Patrick Timlick
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390115063825&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en
>
> Is a computer I'm looking at to replace my PIII mail,
> squid/dansguardian, network boot, X server.  It looks like I can
> add a few parts plus a hard drive and cdrom I have and put the
> system together for around $510.  I'm debating as to whether or not
> to throw in the cheapest DVD writer.  I'm thinking the ATI card,
> the second cheapest, is the way to go, but I'm not sure.
>
> Before I even seriously consider going this route, is this computer
> going to be fast enough to run squid and cache a movie from Hulu?
> I'm thinking of going with 4 gigabytes of ram, but I could consider
> bumping that up to 8.  A sample show that it should handle is one
> of the Stargate Universe episodes.
>
> Is there anything hotter than this at roughly the same price?  Another
> consideration, for how long is this computer going to be fast enough
> to run squid before I seriously need to consider purchasing a
> replacement?  Is 64 bit CentOS 5.x the way to go or should I consider
> another version of Linux?

I filtered 35 clients on a 533MHz Celeron with 128MB of memory running
OpenBSD. This machine also has Squid configured as a transparent proxy
with caching disabled and runs DG on a 3Mbs DSL. A year ago I upgraded
it to a 1GHz PIII and added another 128M of memory, but only because I
had it laying around. Top and other resource monitoring done before and
after didn't show the machine overloaded. My home network is behind an
identical machine, but still uses the 533MHz Celeron. Hulu works fine too.

If you're set on buying new:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101262

That thing rocks. Add hard drive and ram and your set. I went the SSD
route and bought the 2.5" adapter.

--
m0gely