[PLUG] Font collections for cross-platform compatibility?

Scott Garman sgarman at zenlinux.com
Wed Nov 11 02:17:32 UTC 2009

I imagine many of you who run Linux desktops are frustrated by the font
situation, and find editing MS Office documents back and forth between
OpenOffice under Linux and MS Office under Windows to be a pain at least
in part due to the differences in font availability.

Searching for font collections on Google returns a dizzying number of
results. I was wondering if anyone can suggest a font collection I can
obtain for free or purchase for a fee that would provide my Linux
desktop a highly compatible set of fonts with what is typically found on
modern Windows or even OS X systems?

If buying the exact same fonts separately would be prohibitively
expensive (which I'm guessing is likely), I'd be willing to settle for a
collection of near-identical fonts that are named in an obvious enough
way that I would which fonts to substitute for their Windows alternatives.

Thanks,

Scott

--
Scott Garman