[PLUG] usb ide enclosures

m0gely m0gely at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 21:50:44 UTC 2009

Denis Heidtmann wrote:

> I am aware that SANE does not support the S20.  AFAIK it is only
> supported through W95-98, which is why I am looking into a separate
> drive.  I might be better off and spend less time with a new scanner
> (discounting the time taken to research and select the scanner), but
> not less money.  I have a 250G IDE drive; the enclosure might be $30.
> Besides, it irks me that HP refuses to either support this scanner or
> release the information so that others can.  Don't tell me I have to
> discard a good piece of equipment.

I know ME supports USB natively, but I'm wondering how USB will work
with it being the system drive during install. People weren't exactly
doing this back then, and WinME doesn't have native support for USB 2.0.
XP doesn't install on a USB drive the same way it does IDE either, there
are hoops with driver integration. Me thinks you're better off getting a
new scanner. Otherwise I think you're in for a lesson in frustration,
and you'll be out $30 for the USB chassis that didn't work out.

Just because the BIOS has the option, doesn't mean the OS knows what to
do with it.

--
m0gely