[PLUG] dial-up

Fred James fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net
Sun Nov 15 02:08:55 UTC 2009

linux-yug wrote:
> Hi
>
> Does anyone have experience with USB dial-up modem and Ubuntu????
>

> Ya..I am on dial-up and I suspect my modem is going bad..  I have
> problems connecting every now and again..
>

> TIA
>

> linux-yug

linux-yug
No experience with USB modem, but with modems in general ... you say
"problems connecting every now and again"?
    Do you get any error message(s)?
    Can you hear the process (dial tone, dialing, ring, connect chat)?
These things could provide a clue.  I have had modems physically fail,
but rarely - if you don't fry it, or drown it, or take a hammer to it,
there really isn't much in them to go wrong.
Other than a faulty telco line, the usual suspects are physical
connections (as in: remove and reseat - and you might include: inspect
for signs of wear, breakage, corrosion, or misalignment).
Also, if you need it, one can initialize a call from the command line
and view the chat on screen (redirecting to a file is also possible, of
course).
Hope this helps
Regards
Fred James