[PLUG] Network failure

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 16:06:41 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 7:44 PM, drew wymore <drew.wymore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Denis Heidtmann
> <denis.heidtmann at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 11:16 AM, drew wymore <drew.wymore at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Denis,
>> > What kind of DSL modem is it, who's your ISP?
>>
>> It is an Actiontec R1524SU.  I use dslnorthwest.
>>
>> -Denis
>>

> Hmm. There might be some system logs on the Actiontec to help determine if
> it is indeed the modem failing, it sounds like it's either PPPoE/A or routed
> with the 192.x.x.x addresses. If you need a modem to test with, I have an
> Actiontec that is known to be good and you can swap it in and see what
> happens. The 1524 is the little gray one right? Are you running a switch or
> using the built in ethernet?
>
> Drew-

"The Little Grey One" sounds like an accurate description.  I do not
have a switch.  This unit is rented from Qwest, so it has some
"special" firmware.  (There were cautions not to upgrade the firmware,
as it would then no longer work with Qwest.)  Whether this is just
hype to get dummies like me to continue renting, I do not know.  The
upside is that if it is the modem, I can get a replacement easily.

Thanks for the offer of the substitute, but since the failures are
random and rare, and the modem may be configured specifically for
Qwest, it might be hard to sort things out.

I will see if there are any logs in the modem I can peruse.

Thanks for the ideas.

-Denis