[PLUG] Why are PSU network services...

Daniel Herrington herda05 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 15:32:05 UTC 2009

Michael,

I think you're confusing two concepts, namely DR and HA. Secondary data
centers exist for Disaster Recovery, or Business Continuity, purposes.
They have redundancy of the enterprise network, data, and application
services. HA is simply duplicated services within the same network
environment (dual routers, nics, Oracle RAC, dual application servers,
etc.). Having worked in corporate enterprise environments for the last
10 years, I can tell you most environments don't have DR and not all
environments are highly available. It definitely depends on the
criticality of those systems to the core business and the costs to the
business of building and maintaining that infrastructure. I'd be
surprised if PSU didn't have HA for it's core critical systems such as
database services, financial applications, etc. For less critical
systems (ie, publicly accessible network, library computers, essentially
most of the systems that you as a 'user' use), IT managers will choose
to inconvenience you with an outage window. The cost to support an HA
environment for all users is prohibitive. DR for those systems is simply
out of the question.

In the case of the network having no DR site, it's standard in most
environments, if not all environments, to have outage windows for
maintenance. Even the most Highly Available applications take outage
windows for migrations, patches, etc. that are deemed critical to the
infrastructure. If this is an annual event at PSU (I've never seen their
network), they probably plan major upgrades or patching during this period.

It's also possible that with all the work, they are upgrading/improving
the network infrastructure and they need to take the outage to bring the
new systems on line.

Dan H.