[PLUG] Do I want a quad-core Core-2 system?

m0gely m0gely at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 05:06:37 UTC 2009

Eric House wrote:
> I'm shopping for my first new desktop in five years and hoping to have
> it for as long.  My desk area is tiny (converted closet) so I'm
> looking at smaller and quieter systems.  (But still mainstream: I've
> been a bit disappointed with the stability of VIA-based systems so
> want to stick with Intel or perhaps AMD.)
>
> I'm looking closely at Dell's "Optiplex 760" system.  It's available
> in two smallish form-factors, one "ultra small" that'll fit on a
> bookshelf and a "small" that won't.  But only the latter is available
> with a core-2 *quad* processor.  Anybody have experience or strong
> feelings about how badly I'll wish I had four cores over the next few
> years?
>
> The system will run Debian natively and Windows 7 in qemu or Virtual
> Box on top of that.  I expect it'll be most heavily loaded when I'm
> running Eclipse.  Our current desktop shows its age when browsing
> photo galleries, and can't really run Eclipse at all.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Eric

If I build a machine for someone in your position, I always recommend
getting the current generation of processor, which here would mean an
i7/socket 1366 platform. This means you will spend more though. Having
said that, if you're computing needs are not specific, or demanding in a
particular area, any modern Core2 Duo or Quad system will last 5 years.
Just make sure that the system you buy supports the fastest FSB speeds
for the processor you buy. This way, you can buy an inexpensive dual
core today to save money, and a more powerful quad core in a couple
years for a quick and easy upgrade. In a couple years, all the quad
core's of today will be on eBay cheap.

FYI, Dell's can be finicky in the CPU upgrade dept. (due motherboard
revisions and such), more than likely have a proprietary power supply,
and have very specific memory requirements (narrow voltage and timing
ranges). They're OK, but it's really easy to build one these days.

--
m0gely