[PLUG] Linus Torvalds for Nobel Peace Prize

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Thu Nov 19 05:52:08 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 09:08 -0800, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> Since the Nobel Peace Prize is often given to politicians, some
> disagree with the choices.  But it is often given to non-politicians
> who create international efforts to change the world for the better.
>
> Look at the massive international efforts represented by SC09, and
> realize that much of it started from the work of a 21yo Finnish
> college student named after 1962 Nobel Peace Prize winner Linus
> Pauling.  It would be fitting to honor that international effort
> by giving a Peace Prize to Linus Torvalds, perhaps in 2011 on the
> 20th anniversary of the August 1991 Linux announcement, or in 2012
> on the 50th anniversary of Pauling's award.
>
> Linux is one of the largest cooperative international efforts ever
> undertaken.  It inspired Ubuntu, One Laptop Per Child, and many
> other global projects.  Linux conquered the supercomputer space,
> the server space, the embedded computer space - by peaceful means!
> Linux helped sequence the human genome, helps protect the world
> computer infrastructure from viral attack, and is now the pathway
> for millions to learn computer programming and participate in new
> international efforts.
>
> The 2007 Nobel Peace Prize recipient (a politician some disagree
> with, please disagree in a different thread, thanks) is giving
> the keynote to SC09 as I write this.  Meaning that we are all
> three handshakes away from the people that decide on future Peace
> Prizes.  Perhaps it is time to launch some messages through our
> connections and see what makes it to the committee meetings in Oslo.
>
> According to the list on Wikipedia, the five people to convince are
> Thorbjrn Jagland (chair), Kaci Kullmann Five (deputy chair), Sissel
> Rnbeck, Inger-Marie Ytterhorn, and got Valle.  We can start by
> sending them Norsk language Ubuntu disks.
>
> While I imagine Linus Torvalds would be embarrassed by the attention,
> it would sure make his parents happy.  And it would mean one less
> Peace Prize for a politician.

I think it's worth recounting Keith's original letter of support. From
its very beginnings, the Nobel Peace Prize has often been only
tangentally related to peace - but has frequently been related to great
events in history.

Linux is one of those ongoing events. Through projects such as OLPC, it
is bringing much of the developing world (especially the poorest parts)
into the modern age.

I suggest that we take Keith's original note - perhaps in some edited
form - to the [i]Norwegians[/i] who formulate the Nobel committee - and
to some appropriate American(s) who can nominate Linus. (In an earlier
note, I cited some of those from whom nominations are accepted,
including some "University professors of history, political science,
philosophy, law and theology."

I further suggest that we take this to other Linux groups in the United
States and elsewhere, in an effort to get their support - and in the
hope that they too will push for Linus' nomination.

As the main Linux user group associated with Linus' current residence, I
think it's appropriate for the effort to start here.

Thanks,
Mike