[PLUG] DisplayPort

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 06:15:59 UTC 2009

Forking another thread...

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 8:20 PM, Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 05:04:46PM -0800, Eric House wrote:
>> I'm looking closely at Dell's "Optiplex 760" system.  It's available
>> in two smallish form-factors, one "ultra small" that'll fit on a
>> bookshelf and a "small" that won't.  But only the latter is available
>> with a core-2 *quad* processor.  Anybody have experience or strong
>> feelings about how badly I'll wish I had four cores over the next few
>> years?
>
> That looks like a nice model line.  Even comes with DisplayPort.

I'm scoping out thinkpads, with a specific interest in video out
technologies, and I've seen DisplayPort come up a few times.  So far,
all I've gleaned is that it's a smaller connector that can support
some forms of DRM to prevent displaying on unauthorized devices.  That
doesn't sound particularly compelling, but I'm curious if it has other
benefits.

Does anyone know what *is* compelling about DispayPort over HDMI /
DVI, and if there will be any driver/support issues associated with
using DisplayPort under Linux?

Thanks!
Rogan