[PLUG] DisplayPort

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu Nov 19 16:10:56 UTC 2009

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, Rogan Creswick wrote:

> I'm scoping out thinkpads, with a specific interest in video out
> technologies, and I've seen DisplayPort come up a few times.  So
> far, all I've gleaned is that it's a smaller connector that can
> support some forms of DRM to prevent displaying on unauthorized
> devices.  That doesn't sound particularly compelling, but I'm
> curious if it has other benefits.
>
> Does anyone know what *is* compelling about DispayPort over HDMI /
> DVI, and if there will be any driver/support issues associated with
> using DisplayPort under Linux?

So far, my experience is that -- on a Linux box -- DisplayPort offers
no compelling features nor any repelling problems. (Well, there might
be overscan problems when connecting to a television using HDMI, but
that's a different problem...)

It'd be cool if the machine's hardware allowed audio i/o over
DisplayPort/HDMI, but that's not a widespread feature yet.