[PLUG] Linus Torvalds...

Omar Rodriguez gnlnxx at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 00:35:25 UTC 2009

Hi Michael,

Not knowing Linus personally other than chatting with him at a
conference for a few minutes earlier this year, I can't say whether
Linus as a person for his beliefs or non beliefs deserves to be
awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.  I believe Linus has done some great
technical work and I admire him for that.  I guess you can say it can
be considered "the best work for fraternity between nations".
Honestly, the fact that I can contribute to something that people all
over the world might benefit from is just amazing.

I fail to understand what beliefs have to do with anything Keith had
originally mentioned.  As far as I know Alfred Nobel wrote in his will
regarding the peace prize: "the person who shall have done the most or
the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or
reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of
peace congresses"

I respect that for you peace can only come from one source but I'm not
sure that's how the committee chooses who deserves the prize.  The
fact that some past laureates have had strong religious affiliations I
don't think makes it a requirement.

Cheers,
-Omar