[PLUG] Cloning BattleTech I for Linux...

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Fri Nov 20 08:28:40 UTC 2009

I'm working on a clone of Battletech I the Crescent Hawk's Inception put
out by Infocom in the 80's.  The clone is intended for Linux.  So far,
I'm starting very simple.  I've created a text file where I am creating
the dialogues for the training missions, etcetera.  I want to add a few
things of course, like the ability to use Pacifica's facilities after
the raid and I have some other ideas as well.  For instance, I'd like
to make it possible to get a Jenner or an Urbanmech by salvaging one
after destroying the Arena.  Essentially, it never made sense to me
that you can't destroy the arena when you aren't renting a 'Mech.  It
also doesn't make sense if you have multiple 'Mechs that you wouldn't
be able to meet up with your team and fight the Urbanmechs outside the
Arena walls.

I want my version to be smarter so for instance you can listen to
the holodisk after it has been repaired in the ruins of the barracks.
I also want to implement shell counts for machine guns, missile
launchers, rifles, pistols, and bows so that picking up rare hand
held laser weapons makes sense.  I believe in supporting four 'Mech
warriors as opposed to 3 and I believe in having the main character
train the doctor and the tech.

In the original game you have to find a doctor, a tech, a veteran
'Mech warrior, and a regular 'Mech warrior.  The team when you find
everyone is made up of 5 people.  It should be possible to train
everyone in my opinion to use a 'Mech.

In the original game you have to get the doctor and the tech trained
and find the Star League Cache essentially, after you get some help
from Dr. Tellhim of course.  I want to change that a bit so that you
can use the 'Mechs found in the Star League Cache to say defend and
rebuild Pacifica.  Obviously, I want to copy the original game first
and then I can see about plot changes to make it more interesting.

I am interested in how to do the graphics for this.  I want to use
either X or I suppose I could use svgalib.

Ultimately, I'd like to release the source code for this so that it
is a free game that anyone can improve upon.  I am not trying to
create a clone of Mechwarrior, there is a certain appeal to this
old game.

One thought if I can clone this game successfully is to make the
allies and perhaps even the enemies real players.