[PLUG] Ubuntu to Debian Second Attempt - Day 2

Tim tim-pdxlug at sentinelchicken.org
Sun Nov 22 17:26:04 UTC 2009

> 1) I installed VLC 1.0.2 Goldeneye from the repos, but the display is
> scrunched up to the left 1/4 of the window. Someone else on the
> debian-user list reported the same problem, but no one can do much at
> the moment because the VideoLan wiki and forums are offline. They took
> them offline deliberately because of the high volume after releasing
> version 1.0. Luckily I don't need VLC often.

For whatever reason I rarely use VLC, but when I do, I use the
packages from here:
  http://www.debian-multimedia.org/

If you want all of his multimedia packages, just add the appropriate
line to your /etc/apt/sources.list and add his keyring package to
authenticate the package signatures going forward.

While I can't guarantee you these packages won't be without problems,
I generally find these a lot better than those that come from Debian
(since they aren't nerfed due to rediculous DRM and patent
restrictions).  That and they're a lot easier to keep updated than
having to build everything yourself.

> 4) I have no wireless at home, so I need to go someplace to test the
> wireless. The installer found it and offered to set it up as the
> primary network interface, but I told it to use eth0 instead. And now
> ifconfig doesn't even report the existence of the wireless.

I assume you're typing 'ifconfig -a' ?

tim